I have always loved chili, especially during the colder months. Ever since transitioning to my Wahl’s Protocol Diet (which is a variation of a paleo diet) I am not suppose to eat any beans, so when I came across this recipe I was so excited. It has the chili consistency and tastes so great. It is packed with veggies and has a sweet/spicy flavoring.
Another positive is that you literally just have to throw all the ingredients into a Crock-Pot, let it cook, and then it is ready to eat. Crock-Pot meals are seriously my favorite meals. With it being winter as well, this is the perfect meal to make. It’ll warm you up, comfort you, and is healthy all at the same time!
I personally like to make spaghetti squash and have that as a base underneath my chili. You can also make cauliflower rice as well to keep the meal paleo friendly. But I would HIGHLY recommend the spaghetti squash with it. What I also love about this recipe (that I got from this website https://thecleaneatingcouple.com/paleo-turkey-chili/) is that is makes a HUGE batch. I love to meal prep and when I make this I will get 4-5 meals out of it. It also freezes really well if you want to go that route.
I do a little variation to the recipe that is listed in the website, so feel free to follow either mine or the one above. Also feel free to add whatever else you would like. If you don’t want to be paleo, go ahead and throw some beans in there. Or this can be made with ground beef if you choose as well. I always suggest using organic grass-fed beef though. This recipe has a ton of spices but it is what makes it so good. I have never thought to put cinnamon in my chili before, but boy was it a game changer. Lastly, I always top my chili with avocado because who doesn’t like avocado with everything.
- 1 Ib ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup of peppers (I use a red and green pepper), chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup carrots, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup celery, chopped in small pieces
- 40 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Heat oil in a pan. Cook turkey over medium high heat until browned.
- While turkey is cooking, chop all of vegetables and prepare spices.
- Add browned turkey and all other ingredients to the crockpot.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Serve over spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice or just enjoy on its own!
- Top with avocado if desired.
- How I cook my spaghetti squash: Heat oven to 400 degree F. Cut it in half and scoop out all of the seeds. Spread olive oil on squash and then sprinkle salt and pepper on it. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and cook the spaghetti squash face down for 50-60 minutes depending on the size.
There you have it! The perfect paleo turkey chili. Great for family dinner nights, meal prepping, or even a chili cook off. And ya’ll bear with me as I learn how to take good quality food pictures. I will get better, I promise!
Let me know what you think if you do decide to try it!