I want to start doing dessert highlights on healthier dessert options I come across. I have such a sweet tooth and since transitioning to paleo, finding approved desserts can be a little challenging. If you know me, I used to eat a lot of ice cream, cookies, cake, pretty much everything loaded with sugar and gluten. I am starting to find things that satisfy my sweet cravings, are paleo approved, and even taste great.
Almost any gluten free dessert you come across is going to use almond or coconut flour or even both. Then instead of butter, you can use coconut oil or even ghee. I haven’t tried any of my recipes with ghee yet since coconut oil has been working out so great for me. Coconut sugar is substituted for regular cane sugar and honestly I cannot even taste the difference.
The first dessert I want to highlight, are these paleo chocolate chip cookies I found. There are seriously everything you could want in a chocolate chip cookie. I like a chewy, soft cookie and that is what you get when you make these. Be sure to get vegan chocolate chips for this recipe if you are trying to stay paleo. Yes they cost more, but are much better for you than regular chocolate chips. Enjoy Life is a really popular brand and you can find at most stores. I have been getting Equal Exchange chocolate chips for all of my recipes.
For quick access I am going to post the recipe and directions here and then at the end, post the website where I found the recipe because I want to give credit where credit is due! Hope you all enjoy!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (make sure it is room temperature, if already melted place in the fridge until firmer. Melted coconut oil can make the dough greasy)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons natural almond butter (the kind with just almonds, nothing added)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup vegan/paleo chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside for now.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat together the coconut oil and sugar until well combined.
- Beat in the almond butter and vanilla extract until combined. Beat in the egg on low. Stir in the flour mixture until well combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about an hour or until the dough is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into balls (I typically get 16) and place 4” apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes or until the surface of the center of the cookies no longer appears wet. They’ll be very soft but will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Lastly here is the website I found them on: https://www.texanerin.com/perfect-paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies/
She has many other recipes on there too! I might highlight some of them in the future as well. Let me know what you think if you get the chance to try them!